b Papa Dog's Blog: Peek-a-Boo & First Aid

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Peek-a-Boo & First Aid

Baby Dog appreciated peek-a-boo for the first time last night. That might not seem like a lot to you, but it’s a huge milestone to us. It took a few tries, but once she got that Daddy’s face could be expected to pop out from the blankie at regular intervals wearing an unfamiliar comic expression, she started to smile, and came very close to laughing. If you haven’t spawned, I can’t tell you what a thrill that is, so just take my word for it, it’s bodacious.

Today we took part two of the Infant CPR class, which didn’t actually have anything to do with CPR, because that was covered last week. That, plus rescue breathing and choking. This week was a general first aid tutorial, covering cuts and abrasions, burns, electrical shock, spinal injury, poisons, bites, and a host of other things I’m too lazy to look up right now with the class materials lying in excess of several steps away. There was a lot of information. I didn’t feel like I got as thorough a grounding in any of it as we did in CPR last week, but a lot of ground was covered, a lot of information was imparted, and we have the written materials to take home and peruse at leisure, assuming Baby Dog doesn’t shove a bead up her nose before we get to that part. It’s dizzying, the sheer number of ways a child can do injury to itself, and it seems statistically certain that we’ll have to deal with at least some of this stuff at some point in the child rearing process. I’m really hoping that any first aid we ever have to administer will be the superficial easy stuff. If not, I at least hope it would fall in an area where I’ve retained the pertinent advice.

I think that’s all I’m going to have time for tonight. The computer, as mentioned, is well and truly fucked, and we’re thinking about ordering a new one in the next day or two. Entries may be brief and even more superficial than usual for the next while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home