b Papa Dog's Blog: 'Tis I'll Be Here in Sunshine or in Shadow

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Thursday, March 24, 2005

'Tis I'll Be Here in Sunshine or in Shadow

For the I-don’t-know-how-manyeth day in a row I’m starting late and have a head too full of mush to come up with much of substance for the faversham. I’ll tell a quick one from today, though, that will amuse the two of you who know Dan the Chemist. Today, having finally run my course with Tom Waits, I was back to listening to that last Johnny Cash album. Dan came by for something or other and asked me what I was listening to. I said “Johnny Cash.” He asked which album, so I slid the jewel box over and he scanned the contents. “It’s pretty much all covers,” I explained. Dan’s eyes popped out a little. “Does he really sing ‘Danny Boy?’” he asked. I said yeah and handed him the headphones, skipping ahead to get to the right track. Dan grinned and started to sing along in his cracked Brooklyn voice. Standing right there at my desk, this grizzled old red diaper hippie grinning hugely and singing “Danny Boy” apparently a capella. Passers-by stopped and stared, but really it’s just another day at the office.

Oh, PS – I realised almost as soon as I posted last night that I was misrepresenting the Tom Waits album in several different ways, but I was too apathetic to go back and fix it. I’ll quickly post errata here. First of all, I was quite wrong when I said Waits did vocal percussion in lieu of drums; there might actually be a track where that’s true, but for the most part he does is in addition to the more traditional drum sounds. And more importantly, describing what he does on the album as a “human beatbox” thing is terribly inadequate and makes it sound completely dorky. It’s not. Just go listen yourself. What do I know from music?

And now my pledge: after today I will do at least five posts in a row that are at least moderately thought out and developed to a point where they kind of maybe amount to something worth reading. Get myself back on that pony. Yee-haw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home