b Papa Dog's Blog: Outside Sabuy Sabuy

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Outside Sabuy Sabuy

We went to Sabuy Sabuy tonight for the first time in a long time, maybe since Baby Dog was only a few months old. I suppose I could find out for sure by looking through the faversham archives, but it doesn’t seem quite worth the trouble. Maybe paul will do it for me. Anyway, the place has somehow changed since last we were there. Some element of atmosphere has gone south. The clientele seems different, too. It’s always been across the street from CCAC (now CCA), but I never noticed it being so full of art students. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but…well…I guess we’ve gotten used to dining at places populated by families.

Anyway, Baby Dog was good through most of the meal, and the waitresses made what we’ve come to think of as the usual Thai fuss over the baby. She only started to get cranky around the time I was almost finished, so I ate up and took her out to stroll up and down the street while Mama Dog settled the bill and packed up. There was a nice view of the no-longer-quite-full moon over Broadway, which Baby Dog exclaimed upon immediately. Then she saw the 76 station down the street and started bellowing “Ball! Ball!” We saw the 51 going by several times in each direction, so she was able to accurately exclaim “Bus!” Also, we were near the intersection, so I was able to point out the light changing from green to red and back again, a phenomenon she’s been learning about in Go, Dog, Go!.

It took a while for Mama Dog to get the bill, so Baby Dog and I walked over to the car and back a few times, Baby Dog crying out “Moon!” or “Ball!” or “Bus!” or “Red!” or “Car!” depending on which way she was looking. At one point a couple of young punk boys approached, walking rapidly. Baby Dog was walking in front of me, hands up to hold mine. The punks were in mid-conversation. As they passed, the front punk boy said, “Shit, man ” and I had time to register only internally my annoyance at the “S” word being spoken in front of the baby, when the second punk boy said, “Shoot.” I can’t be certain, of course, if he was correcting his companion out of consideration for the presence of a baby, or if he was just spontaneously interjecting his own milder expletive. I like to think it was the former, though, because that makes it a happier shinier world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sense a further erosion of cynicism. Ain't babies grand!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Tarz said...

Yes, Papa Dog is become more earnest and wholesome in his middle age! Babies iz grand, indeed!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, like I have time to search through your archives. I have an April Wine concert to go to.

paul Anonymous

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home