b Papa Dog's Blog: Concrete and Barbed Wahr

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, January 21, 2008

Concrete and Barbed Wahr

So Baby Dog has two new musical obsessions. One is Puff the Magic Dragon, which she sings and discusses from first thing in the morning until last thing at night. The other is Lucinda Williams' album, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, to which she was introduced by Mama Dog. Today, Mama Dog made Baby Dog a binder filled with the printed lyrics to all the songs, each song encased in a heavy-duty plastic sheet protector, ready for the tough punishment that surely lies in its future. I was a little disconcerted when I saw Baby Dog reading out the words to "Metal Firecracker," which includes the line "You wanted to undress me." I mentioned that to Mama Dog, who replied, "She'll just think it means Lucinda was getting ready for a bath." Well, okay.

Anyway, among Baby Dog's favourite Lucinda songs is "Concrete and Barbed Wire." Tonight, Mama Dog made a point of asking Baby Dog to say, for my benefit, the name of that song. Our little girl faithfully pronounces it just the way Lucinda does, in her Louisiana drawl. "Concrete and Barbed Wahr."

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Ha! Amazing that she is reading so well at three. That's awesome.

I love Lucinda Williams. I think she mentions my hometown in one of the songs on that disc.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home