b Papa Dog's Blog: Hot Baby, Air America, Note to Parents: Oakland! OAK-LAND!!!

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Hot Baby, Air America, Note to Parents: Oakland! OAK-LAND!!!

Did I mention the miserable goddamn heat? It’s been close to unliveable in the house, consistently even hotter than the broiling out of doors, and it takes hours after nightfall to feel any real relief. Bedtime for Baby Dog has been a bit of an ordeal. We don’t want to swaddle her because it’s too hot, but when it gets to eleven or twelve o’clock and she’s still cranking instead of sleeping, we always end up deciding there’s no real choice. We’ve tried different variations to make it less uncomfortable; just one blanket instead of two, only the diaper on under the blankets, etc. Nothing’s as good as the full-on pupa swaddle, but she still conks out pretty quickly once she’s wrapped up.

We’ve been listening to Air America on the computer this morning. It’s very strange that the Bay Area doesn’t have an affiliate station, but I guess it’s more important that they have a presence in places like Wisconsin and Ohio. I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to get around to locating the Internet broadcast. It’s very refreshing to hear a voice of sanity on commercial radio.

We’re expecting a visitor fairly soon, and then I’m going to have to make the trek out to the airport to meet my parents, who still insist on flying in through SFO no matter how many times I tell them that I live in Oakland, not San Francisco. Moreover, they’ve cleverly arranged to arrive at 4:20, ensuring a tussle with rush hour traffic across the bridge (or, as I like to call it, the Bay Bridge Death March). I don’t think they’ve ever encountered real freeway traffic before, so I’m taking it upon myself to navigate for them in their rental – and if you knew what it’s like being in a car with my mom and dad in the best of conditions, you really wouldn’t wish that on me.

So just those few scattered items today. Things to do, places to go, and people to be. More tomorrow, maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home