b Papa Dog's Blog: Another Post that Rather Lacks Focus But Maybe Has a Couple of Yuks If You Like this Sort of Thing

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Another Post that Rather Lacks Focus But Maybe Has a Couple of Yuks If You Like this Sort of Thing

Gran’s here again and Mama Dog is for some reason reacting by going into a cooking frenzy. She concocted alphabet soup (letters bought bulk at the Berkeley Bowl) for lunch and has spent the late afternoon baking a pumpkin pie. Just now she was musing about making pesto for supper, though I don’t think that’s going to happen. Round here it’s all about the food normally – when Gran’s here, it somehow becomes really all about the food. I’m just trying to stay out of the way over by the computer lest I get clotheslined on the salad spinner string.

I’ve been recalled to active duty as designated sleep bringer the last while. Baby Dog no longer requires swaddling (nor could it possibly work unless we wrapped her up in a beach towel or something), but when she reaches a critical stage of crankiness at bed time, the most reliable way to seal the deal seems to be a little rocking of the Co-Sleeper accompanied with the patented Daddy “shusssshhh.” For some reason I’ve had to do a little shushing most nights this past week. This morning after the morning nurse, Baby Dog was snuggled happily on Mama’s chest. Having to get up, Mama Dog passed Baby over to me. I was sceptical of my ability to provide a suitable resting place, lacking as I do the cushy appointments, but with a little bottom patting and back stroking, Baby Dog was quickly drowsing and then snoozing on my chest. I think I might have dozed off myself while Mama Dog was taking Doggy Dog out for his walk. Later, after a little soap in the eye at bath time sparked a crying jag, I was called in as a pinch shusher. This time I tried combining the shushing with the bottom patting and back stroking, and that worked not unlike gangbusters. We sat on the rocker and rocked and shushed and patted and stroked until I was surprised to find that she was asleep again. A three-hour nap ensued, which is pretty unprecedented these days. Later – and I suppose I can’t really take credit for this – she snoozed off again in the crib while I was folding her laundry on the changing table. I never would have predicted that I have a talent for this, but I suppose those of you who don’t have children are already feeling my powers of enforced somnolence just by reading this post. I’m just happy to have proof that Baby dog, like her mother before her, finds me a calming presence in her life.

Hey, so far John Kerry’s polling at 100% in my scientific sample! If you’re interested, here’s the site where I found all the candidate photos. There are about 75 candidates, so I couldn’t include them all in my poll, but I tried to represent the entire political spectrum, from conservative (Kerry) to moderate (Cobb) to left-of-centre (Brown) to You Go, Girl! (Lance-Council) to “What’s this, a frat pledge?” (Strauss). I winnowed out the beyond-the-pale extreme far right candidates (Bush and the guy from the United Fascist Union), because I figured most of the people reading this Faversham are neither corporate criminals nor religious loons (nor, probably, brownshirts); the other Republican candidate, because he's unsafe at any speed; most of the Independents, because I didn’t want to spend my lunch hour reading their position papers trying to tell them apart; and the Libertarian because while I have to admit they usually come out on the right side on most social issues not involving automatic weapons, they tend to be smug dicks. But, hey, the poll will be up until Tuesday. Make your vote count here now even if it won’t there in two weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

Papa Dog wrote: "I suppose those of you who don’t have children are already feeling my powers of enforced somnolence just by reading this post."

Oh, pish tosh, I love reading about your excellent daddying skills in action! I hope that you'll keep writing about Baby Dog, as she's my favorite topic.

xox,
Mama Dog

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home