b Papa Dog's Blog: Holding Hands

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Friday, December 24, 2004

Holding Hands

Lunch today at the Cajun Kitchen. Baby Dog stayed home being sat by Gran, who couldn't be happier to do so. We parked a few blocks away from the restaurant. As we walked down the street, I took Mama Dog's hand and realised with a jolt that it was not a familiar feeling. It's hard to believe this is true but I don't think we've held hands - at least not on that side, my right her left - since she got a new ring a few months ago. It used to be we were in constant contact when walking anywhere. Nowadays, though, it's never just us...we always have a handful of dog or baby or both. Don't misunderstand - we haven't lost our marital intimacy - but since we've grown to a full-on family unit, the days of simply walking down the street hand in hand seem to be gone for a while. More often now we hold hands by proxy. I hold Baby, Baby holds Mama. This is good. It's not the same thing, but it's good.

We had lunch - I had the Breakfast Anytime - looked for dessert and found only cornbread. We caught up with the step-in-laws who are still a few months away from being parents themselves and told them various things they should expect now that they're expecting. On the way back to the car we held hands - my left, her right. I gave her hand a squeeze and she returned it. I made a mental note, and I hope you other tyro parents will give this a thought - don't neglect the small but meaningful contacts. They are the bedrock of a life together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home