b Papa Dog's Blog: I Confound the Wife By Unexpectedly Taking Passing Notice of Nature. Plus Loose Ends From Yesterday.

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Friday, May 06, 2005

I Confound the Wife By Unexpectedly Taking Passing Notice of Nature. Plus Loose Ends From Yesterday.

There was a Magritte sky out there tonight, still deep blue and full of fat white cumulus long after the sun was down. I was standing on the back porch, giving Doggy Dog moral support while he searched the yard for the money spot. I kept staring up at the sky, wondering how it was I could still see blue and white up there at nine p.m. in this southern latitude. “Come look,” I said to Mama Dog, typing away in the computer nook. She came to the door, blinking, not knowing where to look. I pointed out the sky’s persistent hue. She agreed it was very striking. We speculated that perhaps it was the reflected light of the city holding the blackness at bay. “That’s all,” I said. “Just noticing nature.” She smiled. “When I came out here,” she said, “I couldn’t think what you could be looking at in the dark. I thought you were going to show me Doggy Dog scratching his ass or something.” My wife, who knows me so well.

So, that Cinco de Mayo thing was fun. I thought it turned out really well, didn’t you? It’s funny, but even though we selected five participants and were each supposed to use five questions (though several people ended up using their alternates as well), at no point in planning or execution did anybody point out that this Cinco de Mayo was in fact 5/5/05. Didn’t even occur to me until this morning.

I also forgot to mention something in my answer to the question about movies. I talked about a bunch of disparate movies I saw during the year of the streak, but I neglected to mention one particular double feature I saw that perfectly captures the range of high and low culture encompassed in that year: Fritz Lang’s M (in a lovingly restored print) and Mike Judge’s Beavis and Butt-Head Do America. Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh. Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

Thanks for showing me the interestingly clouded, post-sunset sky, Papa Dog. Maybe you'll start taking more of an interest in nature as Baby Dog grows up. She needs to know the difference between a cumulus,
stratus, cirrus, and nimbus clouds, after all.

And, apropos of nothing -- I used to think the expression was "It's a doggy dog world," NOT "It's a dog eat dog world."

10:30 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Is this a recurring condition in your area in the sky? If so, could you try and get a pic or is it too dark?

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home