b Papa Dog's Blog: Brief (and Late) Notes from My Day

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, June 20, 2005

Brief (and Late) Notes from My Day

I meant to do a big post about My Day yesterday, filled with thoughts on what a year of fatherhood has taught me, but I guess one of the main things it’s taught me is that I usually end up with insufficient time to do the things I set out to do. So, even with an extra day to work with, all I’m going to come up with here are a few highlights from yesterday’s festivities.

1. Got to sleep in. All the way until 8:15! It’s hard to believe there was a time when I’d sleep til the afternoon on Sunday.

2. Went to our second picnic in a row, this one a birthday party for little M, who was born two days after Baby Dog. This one was at Dimond Park in Dimond Park Oakland, and unlike the YBW picnic, it was lousy with babies, many of them around one year old, members of the birthing group to which S & J, M’s parents, belonged. After we had eaten and played and mingled and frolicked and gambolled for a while, I was delighted to hear that S’ dad was going to put on a magic show. I took Baby Dog over to watch, though of course it was by no means certain that she’d have an appreciation for prop tricks. What didn’t occur to me until it was obvious to everyone is that two things Baby Dog has really learned to do are clap and say “Yaaaay!” She had no idea what the old guy with the wand was up to, but she was thrilled when all the people surrounded him clapped and said “Yaaaay!” Delighted, she joined in. Only thing is, she wasn’t clapping and yaaaaying for the magic show – she was clapping and yaaaaying for everybody else’s clapping and yaaaaying. So S’ dad would do a trick and everybody would clap and yaaaay. Then, just as he’d start the patter for the next trick, Baby Dog would suddenly clap and yell “Yaaaay!” She really kind of stole the show. It was the most adorable damn thing ever.

3. We left the park with Baby Dog in the stroller, me pushing. As we got to the exit, we passed another couple with another dad pushing another baby in the stroller. As we whisked past each other, we exchanged the Daddy nod and he, a complete stranger, said, “Happy Father’s Day!” I said “You too!” Maybe I’m getting soft in my dotage, but for once I actually enjoyed a casual pleasantry.

4. On the way home, we stopped at the Chocolate Café and Mama Dog got me some chocolate because she knows her man (having met him on several occasions previously).

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

What a wonderful day! Glad you had a good Father's Day!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home