b Papa Dog's Blog: The Whistling Gypsy

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Whistling Gypsy

I find myself once again too tired to gather any thoughts of my own to post, so tonight’s entertainment will consist of the lyrics of Baby Dog’s new favourite song, The Whistling Gypsy, as performed by The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem. She requests it at bedtime and mealtime, and we hear her singing the chorus herself at odd moments. It goes a little something like this:

The gypsy rover came over the hill
Down through the valley so shady
He whistled and he sang ‘til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady

Chorus:
Adi-doo, adi-doo da day
Adi-doo, adi-day dee
He whistled and he sang ‘til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady

She left her father’s castle gate
She left her own fond lover
She left her servants and estate
To follow the gypsy rover

(Chorus)

Her father saddled up his fastest steed
Roamed the valleys all over
Sought his daughter at great speed
And the whistling gypsy rover

(Chorus)

He came at last to a mansion fine
Down by the river Clady
And there was music and there was wine
For the gypsy and his lady

(Chorus)

“He is no gypsy, my father” she said
“But lord of these lands all over
And I will stay ‘til my dying day
With my whistling gypsy rover”

(Chorus Twice)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this one brings back memories! But I just want to check one thing - does the father settle or saddle his stead?

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - steed

6:06 AM  
Blogger PapaDogDuvalier said...

Yes, it's "saddled." I've corrected it. Last night I just copied it straight from the Internet without really looking at it because I was too tired and lazy. Supid Internet. It was from Tommy Makem's web site, too. You'd think he'd know the words.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home