b Papa Dog's Blog: To Him, Life Is a Great Big Bang-Up

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, May 29, 2006

To Him, Life Is a Great Big Bang-Up

So, Mama Dog did a little thrift store shopping a while back and returned, somewhat mysteriously, with a Spider-Man t-shirt for Baby Dog. Even more mysteriously, this shirt quickly became one of the little girl’s favourites. She had no context for Spider-Man, no familiarity with the character. Possibly she just liked the colours or the sound of the name, I don’t know. In the natural way of things, I eventually succumbed to the temptation to sing what I could remember of the Spider-Man cartoon theme song while putting the shirt on her. Soon, she was requesting the song from me. I scoured the Napster for the original, to no avail. Eventually, I found an appealing lounge arrangement by something called the Gabe Lee 3, and added that to Baby Dog’s Greatest Hits. Now the song is a staple of meal times (on Napster) and bedtime (me singing to her). I never thought I’d have to re-learn the peculiar syntax of “Wealth and fame? He’s ignored.” Nor did I ever think I’d be able to sing “Is he strong? Listen, bud, he’s got radioactive blood” without laughing. But that’s what fatherhood does to you. For those not in the know, here are the words:

Spider-man, Spider-man
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size
Catches thieves, just like flies
Look out! Here comes the Spider-man!

Is he strong? Listen, Bud!
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.
Hey there, there goes the Spider-man!

In the chill of night,
At the scene of the crime
Like a streak of light
He arrives just in time

Spider-man, Spider-man
Friendly neighborhood Spider-man
Wealth and fame, he's ignored
Action is his reward

To him, life is a great big bang-up
Wherever there's a hang-up
You'll find the Spider-man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home