b Papa Dog's Blog: Home Again, Home Again, Jiggedy Jig

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggedy Jig

Another six hours spent happily wedged between a car seat and a large furry mammal. Doggy Dog likes to see where the car's going and he can't do that from behind the driver's seat. The Roadie holds him in place well enough but gradually, bit by bit, he inches himself to the centre, where he can see between the seats and rest himself comfortably on my lap. Our hundred-pound lap dog. What fun! Baby Dog again slept through most of the trip and again stopped sleeping once cranky hour (officially, 7 p.m. til she falls asleep) arrived. She was awake for the final hour or so, crying for the last half hour, and full-on screaming before we even got to the Oaktown city limit. We couldn't really stop to do anything about it, and I can't exactly rock her in a locked car seat, so there was nothing for it but to let her scream. By the time we got home, she was in such a state that she continued to scream right through her diaper change. This is really unusual, the changing pad normally being her Happy Place. She didn't quiet down until she had a mouth full of boob, which might well be a lesson for all of us.

I got the car unloaded quickly, but there's much unpacking and reassembling of baby items still to be done. Seven more days worth of newspapers have been added to my burdens. At least I'm almost finished Fifth Business. Baby went to sleep quickly with a swaddling around eleven. She let us have six straight hours of sleep snug in our own bed, an almost obscene pleasure after a week in the baleful berth of bedevilment. The house is empty of food, so Mama Dog will soon be off to forage. Not sure what I'll be doing with myself, but I imagine unpacking will be involved.

Charles - yes, I had the same thought about the Scream/Madonna theft, that the figure behind it can only be some rich guy who's going to keep them in a sealed chamber behind his wine cellar until death. I don't know if you saw this, but the thieves' getaway was caught on film (LA times registration required to follow that link, but at least it's free). My first thought on seeing the photo was that they looked like henchmen on the Batman TV show capering away. Maybe the Riddler's henchmen. I can't find any good Batman thug/henchmen photos on the Internet, but here's what their bosses would look like. Funny you should mention Connery Bond. I don't know if you were aware of this, but in the first Bond movie, Dr. No, there's a moment when Bond is walking through Dr. No's lair and he goes past a painting on an easel. He stops and does a brief double-take, because the painting is Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington, stolen (in real life) the year before and, if I remember right, never seen again. So maybe this is all really the dark work of SPECTRE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home