b Papa Dog's Blog: Favershamshares

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Favershamshares

Probably this is old news to a lot of you, but there’s this terrific time-waste called Blogshares, the kind of time-waste that could only have come into existence with the advent of the Internet. It was started, I’m guessing, by some economists or statisticians/web geeks with a lot of time on their hands. What it is is a little pretend stock market, wherein the companies are blogs, and the value of each blog is determined by the number of links leading to it. If you register as a member, you can buy and sell shares (using theoretical “blog dollars”) of different blogs, speculating on their future potential to attract readers, traffics, and links. This faversham is in there, and it’s even had some shares purchased by one Anton Musial, whose confidence is inspiring if probably misguided. At any rate, his transaction bumped my stock price up by $.02/share, so good on him.

Now, I don’t really understand how the whole thing works – not surprising since I don’t really understand how real-world stock markets work either – but as you may have guessed, checking my stocks could easily become an obsession with me. So, if you want to help feed an obsession – entertain me! Register at Blogshares and buy my fake stocks! Link to me from your page! Make me a titan in the world of no finance!

In other news – Baby Dog is definitely mastering the art of the “grab.” She gets a good grip on my beard whenever it’s in reach, and just now she made Mama Dog give a loud and earnest “ow!” by grabbing at her eye. I guess it’s time to start making rules to keep her down. ‘Cause we’re the man.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

Hi Papa Dog,

I heard myself saying "No!" to Baby Dog for the first time the other day when she was pulling my hair. Then it occurred to me that it was the first time that I had denied her of some impulse or pleasure. That felt strange, and I made a mental note to start rephrasing my "noes" into positive statements such as this: "We like to treat hair nicely and not pull it." Well, the word "not" is still there, which is a negative, but at least it's not "NO!" Parenthood is becoming more challenging every day.
Love,
MamaDog

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home