b Papa Dog's Blog: Niece in the House, Day 2

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Friday, June 10, 2005

Niece in the House, Day 2

As advertised, we spent this afternoon at the animal prison (where all the convicts are lifers!), and it was a roaring success from the Baby Dog perspective, although our little girl’s powers of discernment regarding the animal kingdom can clearly stand a bit of refining. As near as I can determine, it’s her contention that anything with a beak is a duck and anything covered with fur is a dog. At first I laboured dutifully to set her straight. “Well, honey, it’s kind of like a duck, but it’s really called a peacock.” “No, sweetie, that’s not a dog, that’s a gorilla.” After a while, the pointlessness of correcting a (less than) one year old on such matters caught up with me, and I just started agreeing. “Uh-huh, sure, that’s a great huge, one-horned armour-plated dog.” Where the bears were concerned, I had to concede the point; there is a certain resemblance to Doggy Dog there.

For me, the high point of the trip was trying out Dippin’ Dots, the ice cream of the future. Some day, all ice cream will be like this.

Later, we supped at Saul’s where I had turkey on challah and Baby Dog charmed everyone who passed nearby with big grins and flirtatious eye contact. When the busboy leaned over to refill our water, she playfully tapped at the water pitcher and made even his Buster Keaton face crack into a smile.

I’m wiped out from walking and exposure to sunlight. Time to go to sleep and gather strength for tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Dippin' Dots are everywhere here (that's what I get for living in a touristy town), and I have yet to try them...I'd rather have homemade or nothing at all.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home