b Papa Dog's Blog: Sick Day

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, September 26, 2005

Sick Day

Had the beginnings of a sore throat over the weekend, then this morning I woke up and almost tripped over the dog first thing. I felt dizzy and unbalanced. When I had my first morning taste of OJ, I felt inexplicably nauseous. “I don’t think I’m feeling too well,” I said to Mama Dog, with customary Canadian understatement. She took one look at me and said, “You should stay home.”

One of the unfortunate aspects of my job is that my days off have to be arranged with all the carefree spontaneity of a space shuttle launch. As insignificant as my job is, it’s the kind that gets noticed widely if it’s not getting done. If I fail to show up, klaxons go off. I have backup operators, but I need to arrange in advance for them to cover for me. When I don’t discover until six in the morning that I’m not going to make it to work that day, it can be a bit of a sticky wicket. All I wanted to do, though was go back to bed. I made a few phone calls and did just that.

Mama Dog dropped Baby Dog off at daycare and went to work. I spent a couple of hours trying to rest enough so that I wouldn’t feel like I was playing shuffleboard on the Poseidon when I stood up. Then I acquainted myself with the teevee for the rest of the day. In fact, I got all caught up in my stories.

Around 2:30 in the p.m., Mama Dog called to say that she was feeling dizzy and headachy and nauseous and was going to come home. This is going to sound callous, but I was relieved. I’d been assuming at some level that my symptoms could be attributable only to a brain tumour. Since it’s tumours aren’t contagious and it’s incredibly unlikely we’d have the same one, Mama Dog coming up with the same symptoms was good news. I reckon we both picked up a touch of cold from Baby Dog and then exacerbated it by not getting enough sleep.

I definitely have to go back to the dirt farm tomorrow. So that’s it for tonight. I’m going to try to get a solid eight hours. See you later.


Blogger Judy said...

Poor you! There is a perk to daycare - when you are in the downy-dumps and the kiddo is fine, there is somewhere she can go while you recouperate!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

It really sucks when both parents are ill -- you can't phone in sick to your baby. Maybe you have family that live close, but my mom is 500 k away and 96 years old and blind, so let's face it, babysitting isn't going to work. So if the wife and I are both ill, the only sitter available is Mr. TV. Course, given this week's contest and her thinking characters from King of the Hill raised her, maybe you're already relying on the TV sitter too much :-)
(Hey, there's a marketing opportunity -- "The TV Sitter" a video of a great babysitter repeatedly saying soothing things to your kid..... Like the videos of fish tanks or christmas fireplaces....)

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home