b Papa Dog's Blog: Another Sick Day

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Another Sick Day

I was at my desk yesterday afternoon when it started sinking in to me that I’d been kind of dizzy and out of it all day. Once I noticed that, I realised that I’d also been kind of tired and achy and bordering on nauseous. You’d think I’d notice this sort of thing sooner but, well, there you have it. I thought maybe some fresh air would do the trick so I went out and walked around the block. Did you know that outlet bookstore is gone? All boarded up. Wonder when that happened. Guess it’s been a while since I walked around the block. Or left the building. Anyway, I felt a bit more alert when I got back to the office, but as soon as I sat back down all I could think about was how badly I wanted to lie down and take a nap. I actually considered going back to the hidden hallway by the low-rise elevators and curling up on the floor. That’s when it finally occurred to me that I needed to go home.

Fortunately, there had been hardly any work all day anyway. I put a sign up on my computer and made arrangements for someone to come in in the evening if necessary. Then I went home and went to bed. So far as I can recall, I’ve never had the flu in my adult life, but I think that’s what it was. I was slightly feverish and totally lethargic. I spent most of the night in bed, getting up only to put away the dishes (a task I refuse to delegate – long story) and help put Baby Dog to sleep. I hadn’t really wanted to do the latter because I feared exposing her to my pestilence, but she just wouldn’t put up with this unauthorised change in routine. She does this thing where she calls out “Here comes Daddy! Here comes Daddy!” and it starts out as a hopeful invocation and ends up in a tearful lament. It’s very difficult to resist. “Daddy’s not feeling well” and “Daddy’s sick” and “Daddy has to go to bed” just wouldn’t give me a pass. I took her on The Tour and sang her a song and tried to breathe away from her, and eventually she settled down. I hope she doesn’t carry on like that when I’m out of town later on.

I was asleep by 10 a.m. and got to sleep in to the decadent hour of 6:45 and have since spent the day mostly watching my stories and lazing about. I’m feeling much improved and think I’ll be good to go back to work tomorrow. Seems like one or the other of us has been under the weather continuously for a while. We took turns having colds, then Baby Dog had the weird vomiting thing, then Doggy Dog had his growth, now this. Being sick sucks, if you were wondering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home