b Papa Dog's Blog: Plus, About the Contest

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Friday, December 31, 2004

Plus, About the Contest

The Mircat identified, mostly correctly, the source of the mystery quote from a few posts back. She identified the song as “Louisiana,” rather than its proper title, “Louisiana 1927.” My guess is she Googled the lyric and found this page, which makes that particular error. I never said “no Googling,” so the fabulous prize be hers.

One other variation on that page – the wording of the line I quoted is slightly different. The wording I used in my post, “Rained real hard and rained for a real long time” is how it appears on the lyric sheet of the album. The wording on the page with the mistaken title is “Rained real hard and it rained for a real long time” (italics mine). That’s how Newman sings it on the album; whoever prepared that page evidently transcribed from the recording rather than from the lyric sheet, as there are other little variations as well. My thinking was that the lyrics on the sheet were Newman’s intended “official” text while the ones he sang were improvisational, so I went with the former.

Either way – fabulous prizes on the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home