b Papa Dog's Blog: Shower Time with Daddy

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Shower Time with Daddy

We had a tight schedule this morning, a 10 a.m. appointment with our lawyer to finalise our will and living trust documents, with many errands to be crammed in before. There was a parcel to be picked up at the post office, Doggy Dog needed a walk, Baby Dog needed her breakfast, and all the quotidian obligations of daily life had to be met. Mama Dog went out to get the parcel around nine and I still needed to shower. I set Baby Dog down in her crib and she started to cry. I had to agree, it seemed like a gyp. She’d barely been up at all. I started trying to figure out a way for me to have a shower without letting her feel abandoned. I thought about setting the Exersaucer in the bathroom doorway, but worried the dog might barrel over her in his enthusiasm when Mama Dog returned. Finally, I decided that the safest accommodation was the high chair. I dragged it into the bathroom, set Baby Dog up in it, and had a shower while she played with her high chair toys. I played peek-a-boo from behind the shower curtain now and then and she sang along with me on “The Irish Rover.” Mama Dog came home in the midst of it, and thought it was the cutest thing ever.

I was thinking later, though – and it’s a thought that’s crossed my mind a number of times since the baby was born – when is she too old to see Daddy in his showering clothes? I mean, she doesn’t much know the difference at seven months old, but at what point on the slippery slope do I need to divert to the kiddie trail? The truth is, I’m kind of clothing optional in the privacy of my own home and haven’t changed my habits much since the new housemate arrived. I’ll put a robe on if I get out of bed to tend to her for one reason or another, but for the most part I haven’t suffered from an excess of modesty where she’s concerned. Am I scarring her emotionally or am I teaching her about human anatomy? I don’t remember ever seeing my parents naked, and happy I am for that. When do I need to start extending the same courtesy to my daughter?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

I am glad that reading Lolita has made you think seriously about these things.

;-) Mama Dog

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home