b Papa Dog's Blog: And Now Every April I Sit on My Porch and I Watch the Parade Pass Before Me

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, April 25, 2005

And Now Every April I Sit on My Porch and I Watch the Parade Pass Before Me

Baby Dog is 10 months old today. Boy howdy, do the time fly. It occurred to me last night after watching 48 Hrs. that this movie, which I remember seeing at the Capitol Square Theatre in Edmonton when I was not going to college, was made 22 years before Baby Dog. For me, an equivalent movie (in terms of years before my birth) would be Casablanca. Like I needed help feeling any older than I already do.

Today is also ANZAC Day, and much as I note Remembrance Day by drinking a toast for all the poor bastards who died in foreign wars, I mark ANZAC Day with a toast specifically for the poor bastards who got dragged from the other side of the world to die in some other other side of the world. I had to make do with Maker’s Mark for Remembrance Day, but tonight I had some scotch, left over from Charles’ recent visit) While I drink the ANZAC Day toast, I play And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda and solemnly contemplate the folly of Empire. It seems somebody always has to have one.

And that’s it for tonight. I’m stretching myself kind of thin again, I’m afraid. I’ll try to stop short-changing you soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I'm not even sure they made movies when I was a tot (just KIDDING!).

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> Baby Dog is 10 months old today. Boy howdy, do the time fly. <

You want a real shock, wait 'til she turns ten years. It'll happen, oh, sometime next month. (You think I'm kidding.)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home