b Papa Dog's Blog: Now I'm Gold-Toothed, Like a Rapper

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Now I'm Gold-Toothed, Like a Rapper

So, two weeks ago when I got the temporary crown in, Dr. Kamunist told me that for the next week I should as much as possible chew on the other side of my mouth. The crown is on the left side and I’m naturally left-chewed, so it was a challenge, but the sort of challenge I seem to be well suited for. Dr. Kamunist said, “I know it’s not possible to do it 100%, but as much as you can,” so I took that as a challenge. I made a scrupulous point of always chewing on the unaccustomed side for the next week. I got so used to it that I continued doing it through the second week as well.

Today I got the permanent crown put in. Turns out this part of the procedure – in marked contrast to the temporary crown - doesn’t require anaesthetic and only takes about ten minutes to do. Zip, zip, in and out. When he was done, Dr. Kamunist said, “Don’t eat anything for about an hour, and for the rest of the day treat it the same way you did the temporary crown. Tomorrow, breakfast, you can eat normally.” “Sure,” I said.

Tonight at supper, the very first thing I did was pop a potato chip in my mouth and bite down on the left side, right on the crown. Go figure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

When I got a crown several years ago, it totally freaked me out. While the dentist was out of the room, readying the temp, I ran my tongue over what was left of my tooth - a STICK! Yuck!

It has ruined me for dentists since.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home