b Papa Dog's Blog: Parents and Children in Movies

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Parents and Children in Movies

Right on the heels of watching Decline of the American Empire, we watched The Barbarian Invasions. What a beautiful goddamn movie. The first one was really good, but too dispassionately analytical. The sequel is the most genuinely moving film I’ve seen in I don’t know how long. Last night after watching the first half, Mama Dog and I were talking about how a movie like this seems a lot different to us now that it would have before we were parents. The parent-child issues don’t have quite the same immediacy when you’ve only lived one side of that equation. I thought The Sweet Hereafter was a sad and beautiful movie eight years ago, but I think it would rip my guts out if I saw it today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

I found some amusing commentary on Barbarian Invasions on IMDB that I wanted to share:

"I come from Quebec and just wanted to clarify some things.

- I cannot believe some people can give a rating below 5 for this movie. Were you looking for a Vin Diesel movie? This is a movie about real life, about human relationships. Its purpose is not entertainment, but reflexion. This is when a movie is considered art.

- Quebecers are not French. I'm speaking for myself but my ancestor came here in Quebec in the 17th century from France. We do speak french, though (more than 7 million of us). Are Americans British? "

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home