b Papa Dog's Blog: Another Boring Streak Saver

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Another Boring Streak Saver

As you may have noticed, I closed the polls on the Presidential allure of Ms. Temperance Alesha Lance-Council. The final tally was: Sweater Girl – 3 votes; farm girl – 2 votes; and Arista recording artist – 2 votes. Like that other election thing going on, it was a statistical tie. In the interest of equal time for the ladies or whomever, I’ve put up another poll about the appeal and magnetism of some hot male politicians. Do chime in.

I finished Love and Hydrogen, which went a whole lost faster than Nana, probably at least partly because I now have time to read on BART and during lunch breaks. One of the last stories in the book, “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” was a history of The Who as told by a lovelorn John Entwistle. The collection is full of stories narrated in the first person by historical figures, or by fictional people about historical events; but I though it was a fairly audacious move to use a narrator who was probably still alive at the time the story was written (I’d have to track down when the story was first published, but it seems likely). It never occurred to me until reading this story that I didn’t really know much about The Who other than their music and the fact that Keith Moon used to destroy hotel rooms. It was surprising, for example, to learn that Roger Daltrey, who always struck me as a vapid pretty boy, was the pugnacious one of the band. He bullied Townsend and Entwistle in school and got his way in the early days of the band by physical aggression. Not at all what I would have guessed. (I should say here I’m not just taking some novelist’s word for all this; I found corroboration elsewhere for pretty much every thing that surprised me in the story).

Right now I’m starting Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival by Dean King, the true story of an American merchant ship that wrecked on the coast of Africa in the 19th century. The crew had the bad luck to be discovered by Bedouins and spent several years in slavery. Looks to be a harsh read.

Turns out I didn’t have to work today, which is nice. I’ll be in there for a while tomorrow, though. With any luck I’ll get home too late to be plagued by the hordes of candy panhandlers. Er, uh, that is, I sure hope I’m home in time to see all the adorable little hobgoblins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home