b Papa Dog's Blog: What Has Happened Down Here Is the Winds Have Changed

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, August 29, 2005

What Has Happened Down Here Is the Winds Have Changed

Here’s how lame I am: Avenuu called yesterday to let me know she was in Memphis, safe and sound. “Uh…from what?” I asked. She told me to turn on a damn television or look at a damn computer, and that’s how I found out about the big natural disaster story that apparently everybody but me had been glued to all day. I’d heard about Katrina and the waves in the days before, but I’d had no idea it had gotten so huge and no idea that it was headed directly for New Orleans.

I guess it’ll be a while before the damage tallies are sorted out, but I fear all the places I loved in the Quarter are thrashed. Most of them were on Decatur Street, with nothing between them and the levee. Oh no, poor Café du Monde! It’s too bad Kagan’s went out of business when Kagan died; this might have finally gotten the floors clean. Well, I’ll be glued to Cable News Network and Cable News Network Period Commercial for the next few days. If you’re one of my New Orleans friends, get in touch with me when you can. I’ll be thinking of you here from dry ground.

I was talking about the hurricane with Mama Dog this morning. She said something along the lines of, “I can’t imagine going through that!” I pointed out that hurricanes are to the Gulf Coast what earthquakes are to California. People who live elsewhere think “How can people live there, when that can happen at any time.” But if you live there, it’s just the nuisance you put up with. Most earthquakes are so small you don’t notice them. Most hurricanes miss the city. But every now and then, you find yourself on CNN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tarz said...

Earthquakes AND wildfires are staples of California's potential disaster landscape. I've experienced many more of the latter than EQs.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I did hear that the FQ and NO proper were spared from the worst - not that there isn't extensive damage, but it could have been so much worse. NO is one of my fave spots, and I could go for a good beignet about now (but not under 3 feet of water).

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home