b Papa Dog's Blog: Why Write When You Can Quote (Why Didn't I think of that a Year Ago?)

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Friday, October 21, 2005

Why Write When You Can Quote (Why Didn't I think of that a Year Ago?)

My eldest sister’s comment that recent posts suggest that fatherhood is developing a social conscience in me put me in mind of a bit from Denis Leary’s No Cure for Cancer. To wit:

“After you have a kid, there’s a wave that washes over you – it might be two days later, it might be two weeks later, it might be two years later, but there comes a day when you look down into that crib and you go, ‘Oh my God, look at this! Look at this cold, sober, empty little vessel waiting to be filled up with ingredients, and it’s up to me and my wife, we can fill him up with anything – love, or hate, or indifference.” And that’s when I realised, oh my God, now I know why I’m supposed to have a responsibility to the planet…because I want him to have a better life. So that maybe, 25 years from now, there’ll be a better world for him. I never get involved in stuff. You know, I vote, but I don’t get hands-on, and now I realise I have to get hands-on. To try to change the world. So that maybe 25 years from now, he can live in a world without war, in a country without colour, with clean air to breathe and clean water to drink. So that maybe 25 years from now, he can turn to me and say, ‘You know something, Dad, I really like this place.’ And I can say, ‘Well son, I did my best.’”

(Pause. Audience applauds earnestly. Suckers.)

“And other times I think, hey fuck him. I didn’t break the planet, it was this way when I found it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home