b Papa Dog's Blog: Woo-Hoo-Hoo. Fun. (Skip if you’ve had your fill of cute baby stories)

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Monday, October 17, 2005

Woo-Hoo-Hoo. Fun. (Skip if you’ve had your fill of cute baby stories)

I mentioned Baby Dog’s discovery of Daddy’s ticklish belly button. This has proved to be a matter of more than passing interest. Whenever my belly button is exposed, whenever the subject of bellies comes up naturally in conversation, or whenever the notion strikes her, Baby Dog will try to tickle my belly button. She doesn’t always hit the mark, but she’s always gratified when I flinch away and particularly when I laugh. The laugh often comes out sounding to my ears much like the sound of my father reading P.G. Wodehouse. It’s a hooting laugh, high of pitch and with uncontrolled reverberation. “Woohoohoohoohoohoohoo!” it goes. Baby Dog has taken to imitating this laugh whenever she indicates her own belly button, only she flattens out the intonation and makes it more of a declamatory statement. “Woo! Hoo! Hoo!”

I should mention also that “funny” is a word Baby Dog has been acquainted with for many months. She knows that it is descriptive of a situation accompanied by laughter. She still laughs when she hears that line from The Torch Singer that goes “makes me feel like the Sunday funnies after everything’s gone off the air.” She also knows the word “fun,” but makes no distinction between the two. If I say “Is that fun?” she often replies with “Ha!” I suppose she thinks “fun” and “funny” are like “dog” and “doggie” or “horse” and “horsey” – essentially the same word.

Tonight after we took her outside to look at the nearly-full moon (the moon being one of her latest favourite things) and put her to bed, Baby Dog continued to make noise for a time. I was busy doing something or other, but it gradually sunk in that she was making a sound that might have been distress of some sort. I thought it was something along the lines of “Boo hoo hoo.” I went into her room to check on her, and there she was sitting in the middle of her crib with the shirt of her ladybug pyjamas pulled up and her finger on her belly button. She looked up at me and smiled. “Woo! Hoo! Hoo!” she said again. “Fun!”

* * *

P.S. – And whoever that was who spent this past evening reading my blog from front to back, hi!

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

She just sounds too cute!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home