b Papa Dog's Blog: Training Day

Papa Dog's Blog

A Thing Wherein I Infrequently Write Some Stuff

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Training Day

Got sent by the job today to take InDesign training today. I resisted as much as I could, because my experience of software training has always been that it’s a waste of time and money. Why pay hundreds of dollars and keep me from doing my work for a day when I could get the same benefit out of half and hour looking at the manual? Worse, they scheduled the thing to start at 8 a.m. one BART stop past the place I can never make it to by 9. To be there on time, I’d have to leave the house at 7:15, which has been laughably impossible for a long long time. The only way to manage it was to tell Mama Dog that she was on her own this morning. I literally wouldn’t have a second to spare to help with Baby Dog – not time to change a single diaper nor spoon a single bit of kiwi into her mouth.

The way things worked out, Baby Dog didn’t even wake up until I was about to leave. I was afraid I’d miss her entirely, but fortunately she roused herself with five minutes to spare. I was out the door a minute late, at 7:16, and somehow caught the train before the one I was after. It was good I managed that, because the train I did catch ran slow, depositing me at Montgomery BART at 7:55. I hurried the two blocks to the training centre, and made it at 8:01. Only one other person from my office made it earlier, so I was good.

I was delighted to find the training nowhere near the pointless slog I’d expected. I could have gotten all the same information out of half an hour with the manual, yeah, but things have moved along a bit since the last time I took software training (in 1989, to learn WordPerfect). For one thing, the training terminal has an Internet connection and nobody cared if I kept flipping back to IE to check my email. I managed to transact way more personal business during the course of the day than I could have in my own office. I’d have to count the day a waste of the company’s money, but I take back what I said about it being a waste of my time. I didn’t get asked a single idiotic question all day long, I never had to smell C the MH’s noxious perfume, I didn’t once have to hear WGP’s braying and meaningless greeting of “Okaaaay?” and in the end I made it home about an hour earlier than normal. All in all, it was a bit of a holiday.


Post a Comment

<< Home